Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Wool Flower Quilt

I finished it off this morning, here it is:

The top is all made from recycled wools. Originally it started off with just the central panel - I intended it to be a flower picture for my bedroom, but very quickly I realised the colours weren't going to go in there with my other flower pictures. So I began to turn it into a quilt, adding each border at a time. It's backed with a bright orange cheesecloth type of fabric, I think it was probably an old tablecloth. I quilted some swirly lines on the central panel, not sure how clearly you'll see them here:

And I did the purple binding with a contrasting orange colour in a sort of 'piping' effect, I've seen this done on other quilts and thought it would suit the design on this one. I found a tutorial for it here. It's not as complicated as you might think and it's all machine sewn - a big bonus if you hate slip stitching binding on the backing! Here's a closer look at it - although it still needs a good iron really!

You can see some of the swirly lines on the backing here too.
I'm not sure what the plan is for this quilt. I do like it, but it's not really my kind of thing particularly, I love bright quilts but I think the colours on this one are too dramatic for me personally. And I made it sort of accidentally, since I'd originally started it as a picture, so it wasn't made as a present with anyone in mind. But, whatever I decide to do with it, it's always good to get a quilt finished. My works in progress pile is gradually reducing!

Back tomorrow, I think still with a slight flower theme, Sally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!