Tuesday 17 September 2013

Blogging Review Time

It isn't any kind of blogiversary (not a real word, I know!). I started this blog back on the 1st of July, so this isn't a convenient 2 month/3 month reflective milestone even.

But I've been thinking for a week or so that I really want to do some posts on Autumn - mainly to get me in a slightly more upbeat Autumn mood! - and I thought it would be great to have a 'linky thing' where anyone could add their own images, makes or thoughts about Autumn. So last night I was trying to find out how to put a 'linky thing' on my post.

My search took me all over the web to various different places, including several very interesting blogs. Interesting blogs with lots of tips on starting and improving a blog. So I settled down to read. And whilst I read lots of  useful information, I did end up feeling slightly inadequate from a  blogging view point. In fact, you could even say I felt completely amateurish in a world of professionals!

I leapt into blogging, back in July, without a huge amount of preparation, or planning, or knowledge about blogging, and, to be honest, I've just kept going since then with very little forward thinking or strategy. And no attempt to improve what I'd started really.

I'm not beating myself up too much about it. School holidays with 4 children came along and I think I did pretty well just to keep up with the blogging consistently. And to keep up with the making reasonably well too. But I did think, after my reading last night, that some more focus on the blogging side of things, as well as on the making, might be a bit overdue.

So today I've just spent the whole day tinkering with the blog. And if I felt a bit down beat about my blogging inadequacies last night I feel even worse tonight! All day sitting at a computer, getting wound up by how slow my internet is and how I can't get my ancient PC to do what I want it to do, is really not my idea of fun! And probably most of you reading this won't even realise that I've done anything at all!

Before I tell you what's changed I'll give you a few links in case you'd like to read lots of good blogging tips and then spend a day tinkering with your blog too!

The Thinking Closet - some very sensible advice from a blogger who was only 2 months into her blogging when she wrote this - 2 months, she'd been doing it less time than I have been! This is why I felt inadequate!

A Turn to Learn - this is where I think I might have found details about doing the linky thing. But I haven't tried it out yet.

Funky Junk Interiors - lots of good blogging tips on here, and lots of interesting junk makes too!

So, today. I've jiggled around a bit with a few little things - the main ones being to do with comments. Commenting should now be easier - I've got rid of that anti spam bit where you have to type in some silly words! And then the bigger thing I've been doing is that I've created three new pages - shown across the top tab, next to 'Home'. You hadn't even noticed them till I just told you, had you?!
  • One, you've hopefully noticed now, says 'About Me' - fairly self explanatory, and if you've been reading the blog for a little while, I don't think there are many surprises there.
  • Another that says 'Why Wonky Patchwork?' - if you read it then you'll know! Most of it I tried to explain in my very first blog post, there's a bit extra at the end about who I'd most like to be reading this blog - something I've gradually realised over the last couple of months. 
  • And then my last new page is sort of a 'gallery' of all my quilts so far, with links to their blog posts.
And I've also been coming up with a long blogging 'to do' list. I like 'to do' lists! Although this one feels too long. Here it is, in no particular order:

A 'gallery' of other craft projects, not just the quilts.
Catch up on 'labelling' posts - haven't been doing this for weeks!
Put more thought and effort into photos - unfortunately I think this is probably my biggest priority.
Try out photo editing options (several suggested in the links above) - to maybe improve my photos, do collages etc, write text on them, as well as to try and label them 'Wonky Patchwork'
Attempt (ha!) to get ahead of myself - rather than be finishing a 'make' the morning I'm going to blog about it! I'm finding this doesn't give much time for the previous points on photography!
Make sure I still stay focused on the making, which is, after all the bit I most enjoy.
Sort out my Google plus, 'about me', profile link.
Find out how to add a 'You might also be interested in ....' at the end of my posts.
Try and start making a few things that I might be able to sell - really struggling with this, can't seem to keep up with presents!
Join in with some more 'Linky Party things' on other blogs.
And do an amazing post on Autumn, with a 'linky thing' at the bottom, on my blog - maybe tomorrow, or possibly the next day!

I can't believe I've written all that with no pretty pictures, this is not a good start to blog improvement! I'll leave you with just a couple of pictures, not very exciting ones I'm afraid, of the beginnings of Autumn makes.


I'm a sucker for any kind of retro print and I found this - a double sheet - a few weeks ago, in a charity shop of course. I've got plans for an Autumny quilt (a present for someone!) and this seems like a perfect quilt back - what do you think?


And I cut these out the other day and haven't got back to them yet. You might think they're supposed to be leaves, but they're actually a bit of an experiment at making a stuffed pumpkin. If it doesn't work they'll become leaves - I need lots for the Autumn quilt anyway!

That's it for today, I'll be back tomorrow with, hopefully, fewer words! Sally.

2 comments:

  1. Sally, I think you're blog is great.
    It's refreshing to read and properly inspiring. Tweak bits here and there but don't lose sight of what you love, that's what we see reflected here.
    It's the only blog I've ever been desperate to get the kids in bed so I can read it......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I didn't mean to be fishing for compliments but it's still lovely to get them!

      Delete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!