Monday 31 August 2015

Repurposed Wool Pixie Hat

I think I may have a new sewing obsession - Pixie Hats!


This is from a pattern by Big Little. Aimee from Small Steps Big Noises first introduced me to these gorgeous woodland inspired sewing patterns a while back, she has made quite a few beautiful pieces from Big Little, like this Wild Things Hooded Scarf for instance, I have definite plans to make one of those too.


This pattern was incredibly simple and quick to make. You really don't need amazing sewing skills or any experience following patterns to make this.

The cat decided he wanted to be part of our photo shoot!

And one of the things I obviously love about Big Little creations is that they are perfect for repurposed wools. This hat started life as a jumper.

View from the back.

Quite a few of the patterns, this one included, feel like they would be perfect for Christmas present making. This one is going to be tucked away as a present for Maria, so Venetia is sworn to secrecy. Although I think the style really suits Venetia too, so I can see a different one being made for Venetia for Christmas!

The jumper I used was a bit on the small side, especially as I obviously wanted to try and match up stripes, so I went with the age 3-5 sizing to make it fit, and I think it's still OK for Venetia never mind Maria.

So this month I'm finally getting back to linking up with 'Ho, ho, ho and on we sew' again (only 16 weeks till Christmas!), which for August is over at Sunshine Through the Rain.


I think there may be a good few more Christmas present Pixie Hats over the next 16 weeks, they are very cute (as well as warm and comfy) and I do have a plentiful wool stash which could do with being reduced somewhat!


Perhaps pet Pixie Hats could work too!


Now that we're about to hit September, have you got Christmas crafting plans in mind?

Sally.

10 comments:

  1. I love it!! The stripes are perfect :)

    Christmas crafting is on my mind, hit the yarn shop on Saturday to pick up a few skeins to get started on a few gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely, what a great upcycle too!

    Thanks for linking up to Ho Ho Ho and on We Sew, time is certainly hurtling towards that season at a rate of knots, isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, the stripes match up so well and I do vote that pet pixie hats should be a new trend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the pixie hat. Great job matching up the stripes. I have plans for Christmas but now that the weather is cooling....somewhat...I'm ready to start putting them in action.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fun hat and a darling model to go with it.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just catching up on some blog reading. Looks like you've had a fab summer. I love the pixie hat ... though I might be too old to wear one. I've a selection of old jumpers for felting so I will take a look at the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so adorable! Cosy and gorgeous. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea - and a great one for Christmas! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! The relationship between Venetia and kitty is adorable, too!

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!