Friday 3 June 2016

Ninja Cushion with a Shakespeare Quote!

Maria's birthday is just around the corner and I've been feeling slightly short of inspiration on what to make for her. So far I've fallen back on my predictable and not very imaginative fail safe of a cushion!

But this cushion is at least very individual to her and I think she'll like it.


Ask Maria what she wants to be when she grows up and she is very clear. She wants to be a Ninja. It will be interesting to see at what age, if any, she decides that this might not be the most worthwhile pursuit. But at nearly 7, that's her ambition. And I do prefer it to something along the lines of: 'I want to be a Princess', even though I'm really not sure where her Ninja genes come from, perhaps it's just something to do with being the youngest of 4 children, and also being quite petite for her age.

So anyway, the cushion has a Ninja bandana - made from scraps left over from her quilt last year. Maybe Maria can be the first 'Patchwork Ninja', I think that has a good ring to it!


The eyes were cut out from the bandana - so basically reverse applique style.


And the bandana continues round to the back where it ties.




If you're a regular reader you might know by now that I have a bit of a soft spot for quotes. And this quote (from A Midsummer Night's Dream) was a very obvious one - to fit well with the Ninja theme but also to fit well with my little Maria. It's one which springs very readily to mind, to all our minds, when thinking of Maria. She is thoughtful, affectionate, kind, generous, incredibly friendly, funny and cute, but right up there with all of those and more...



Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts again and hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Sally

P.S. Talking of Shakespeare, I've heard lots of interesting bits and pieces on the radio recently, all to do with his 400 year centenary. I especially love hearing things about his use of language, about all the quotes and words he created which are now part of our everyday speech. But another little treat from the 400 year celebrations was this short video clip...






9 comments:

  1. Maria cannot help but love this cushion - it is cool. And I love back side of it.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome cushion!!! That's one to keep, whether Maria becomes a Ninja or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fantastic! The quote is so appropriate and the bandana is a perfect ninja mask. I hope she loves the gift, thought, and care you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This such a great pillow, I love how it ties in the back like a ninja belt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's so clever - ninja cushions should definitely be a thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pillow is utterly creative. I love that she wants to be a Ninja and that you're encouraging her. I think Patchwork Ninja has a nice ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How original! Love the eyes and the tie at the back. Absolutely gorgeous! X

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!