Friday 28 August 2015

Golden Anniversary Quilt

A finished quilt today! You last saw this way back here in July when I was working on the centre. It was made from one beautiful (but slightly stained in places), embroidered table cloth, and 2 plain vintage sheets.


This quilt was a special quilt because it was a present for very special people on a very special occasion. Harry's Aunt and Uncle's 50th wedding anniversary - a Golden Anniversary, hence the golden yellow colours in there. They are such lovely people, and it's wonderful to have them as family. Making a quilt under those circumstances is just a pure pleasure.

One of my favourite photos from a recent visit with us, the children all adore them.

Photographing it was not such a pleasure, it's a bit on the large size to hold easily, and unfortunately most of my photos were fairly rubbish!


Folded up was easiest!
Aside from the very familiar use of repurposed fabric, this one feels quite a different kind of quilt to my usual makes. I'm so much more used to working with a wide colour range. In fact, only a month or so ago I remember making a comment that I couldn't ever imagine making a 2 colour quilt, and yet that's pretty much what that is here. What have you made or done recently that you thought you'd never do?

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Crazy Mom Quilts and TGIFF which today is over at My Quilt Infatuation.

Have a great weekend,

Sally.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, the quilt is beautiful, Sally! I loved where it was headed when you posted about it before, but seeing it finished it feels like such a modern quilt made with wonderfully re-purposed materials. And what a special anniversary to get to celebrate; I hope they love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful, and that you re-purposed the tablecloth. The embroidery looks just gorgeous. Love that shot of your kids with the couple. :-) As Yvonne said, what a special anniversary to get to celebrate. I know what you mean about a large quilt...had the same issue today as a matter of fact, and drat, forgot to get a photo of the label, and of the quilt folded up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is simply gorgeous. I adore the colour and the embroidery. It's the perfect gift for such special people. I thought I would never join Facebook, now I'm wondering why it took me so long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a lovely bit of repurposing - it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I think it looks wonderful, and what a lovely way to celebrate a lovely couple :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quilt is gorgeous, and I think you did a terrific job with the photography. What a work of art and what a treasure for the aunt and uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful quilt, Sally!!! I love how you have done the outside yellow sashing (if that's the correct word) - how you've stopped it at the corners. Lovely pic of the kids with their great aunty and uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat! You found some pretty locations for pics. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is gorgeous Sally, and I am sure will be well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is so incredibly beautiful :-) I adore the simplicity of the colours (and im usually a multicoloured person too!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How perfect for a fiftieth anniversary! Your photo shoot locations are beautiful - I'm so glad a couple of your shots turned out! You also managed to capture the joy shared by your family members in the candid of their visit. I can see why it is one of your favourite pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderfully unique gift, I'm sure they were thrilled! X

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!