Then taken in, although with hindsight I should have taken it in much more dramatically than this - as in chop the arms off and take a good size slice of the sides before reattaching the arms. I wanted it to be quite a wide, swinging style top so I thought I'd get away with just this little bit of shaping but I ended up fudging some more near the end of the alterations.
Then a couple of folds in a piece of A4 paper to make a 'pattern'!
And I cut out, and then sewed together, these shapes from lots of scraps - there are a couple of old shirts in here, a tablecloth, a couple of sheets and an ancient dress.
Once I had a strip the size I wanted, I sewed the ends together into a 'circle'.
And then pinned it to the top, right sides together, gathering evenly as I went.
|Here it is right sides together, about to be sewn.|
A hem on the bottom, a quick chop and hem of the sleeves and it was good to go (although, as I mentioned above, I did take the sides in some more after Venetia had tried it on!)
I can see Venetia wearing this a lot with jeans, both skinny and standard, as well as leggings.
I do like refashioning - for one thing it's perfect make it up as you go along territory, and for another so many of the fiddly, finishing details - like necklines for example - are already done for you.
Which often means they're very speedy makes.
So speedy that I still have a couple more to show you!