Wednesday 26 February 2014

Sunshine Cushion

I got my 4 squares from yesterday sewn together to make the front of my cushion cover today...


But instead of then finishing the whole cushion off with a back, I decided I'd start another cushion front instead!  Cushion fronts are much more interesting!

This new one was to be based on my Sunshine Quilt


I think I probably talked through the process of making it in my original post, but since I took quite a few photos as I made it today too, I'll show you them and try and explain as I go.

I started with a squareish scrap of blanket...


 And sewed down my first 'ray' shaped scrap of fabric...


Then right sides together I sewed on the 2nd piece, covering one of my raw edges...


Ironed it back over...


And then sewed it down...


I carried on like this till I'd gone around the whole of my blanket square. My last 'ray', in the picture below, is the brightest yellow ray, one edge is sewn down as above and the final edge is loose still in this photo.


With this last edge I just ironed under a narrow hem first ...


And then sewed this down, covering my very first raw edge from my very first 'ray' that was still showing.


So now here's what it looks like...


All ready for the round sun in the centre of the rays...


I sewed this on with a tight zig zag all the way around the edge, and then quilted a spiral inside it...


Here it is all trimmed up...


I'm planning on putting a sky blue back on this cushion, but I haven't quite decided whether or not to put a thin blue border around the front first too. In my original Sunshine Quilt, I loved how the blue binding worked and I think I'm probably inclined to put a blue border around this to get the same effect..

I was planning on explaining why I'm on a cushion making spree today, but somehow it seems to be extremely late again (how does this always happen?) so I'll leave that to another tomorrow. I am going to link up with WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced and I'll be back again tomorrow,

Sally.

5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to see your process and the reuse of old blankets. I think it will be really fun to have a cushion that speaks sunshine!

    Elizabeth E.
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. the sunshine cushion front is fantastic! the fabrics you used are so lovely :) thanks for sharing how you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that Sal! Just doing a quilt for my nieces bday in March.PINK all the way!! Because it was her present I indulged in some lovely Riley Blake. My first triangle pattern. Will show when Ive done!! My next project is a Tom Baker Dr Who scarf! Guess who requested that!! Lots of Love xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. My couch needs some perking up for spring...maybe I should give this a try. I love the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!