Wednesday 5 November 2014

Christmas robin on a cinnamon stick

It was my birthday a couple of weeks ago (I kept it quiet, I know!), and a few of my lovely friends arranged a beautiful tea party for me. I really should have taken my camera along because the table looked beautiful and was very much worthy of a photo - delicious home cooked cakes, pretty china and gorgeous, home made patchwork table runner! But alas, no camera, no photo, sorry. However I have taken a photo of a perfect present I was given there by the lovely Emma. A sweetie jar...



But full of goodies much better than sweets, here are just a few to show you.

Some beautiful ribbon, I think I might have plans for this already...


Some very cute little wired toadstools...


Pretty buttons and a gorgeous, tiny oval hoop/picture frame...


And some cinnamon sticks...


And those cinnamon sticks were just perfect for another robin make.


I've really struggled to photograph him, but he's a little, stuffed, hanging robin, sitting on a cinnamon stick perch. I made him based on these robins, and I have to say that at the moment I'm much preferring the original - so go and take a look! I'm not sure quite what's wrong with my version...


It could be the eye or the beak...


Or possibly just the general shape of him, I think perhaps he needs to be rounder and plumper. I think he might also look a bit better with some wings. Maybe he needs all these improvements? I like the original, and I love the concept, especially the use of the cinnamon stick but at the moment I think mine is just lacking a bit of cuteness and charm - so please feel free to tear him apart and tell me where he should be different!

Sally.

8 comments:

  1. Love you Sal!! Michelexx Its brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated, Sally!!! Lovely treats and trims!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely gift. Happy belated Birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday wishes, what a lovely gift to receive! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all...your bird is adorable!!! No need to tear him apart at all.
    Secondly, happy belated birthday!
    Lastly, I think the inspiration birdies are leaning forward on their perches more than yours, which is more upright. I think their bellies are also plumper. BUT...that doesn't mean there's anything I would change about yours! Just make him a few friends. :-) Birds, like people, come in all shapes and sizes, don't they??? I just love the charm of your handmade delights. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well first of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! What a lovely present and it sounds like it was a great birthday tea!
    As for your poor robin, if you want to get nearer to the original I think you need to be more 3D, your little fellow is looking a bit 2D at the moment. Maybe a centre seam down the tummy would let you make a really good round shape that would give the plumpness, or a really circular pattern piece?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday! What thoughtful presents... I hope you already have plans for that ribbon, it is gorgeous. That robin is so precious. Your talent amazes me every time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very happy belated birthday to you!!!! I'm glad you were able to enjoy a special tea party. Loved all the treats in your goodie jar!
    Your robin is darling, and I wouldn't change him. As you mentioned, though, a plumper belly on future friends may give the result you are looking for. Most of our robins have quite the round bellies, but there are always a few that look a bit thinner. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!