While I'm still beavering away on Maria's quilt (going well today!), I have a couple of cushions to show you from a while back. I loved the sunflower cushion I made on the plain linen, and wanted to try a different kind of sunflower, just with wools and inspired a little by Van Gogh colours.
I collected a few bits and pieces of wool that I thought might work...
And shoved them in the washing machine with a packet of bright yellow machine dye. Some worked better than others, but then that's part of the fun of dyeing fabric!
And it gave me plenty of pieces for petals to create some sunflowers, just raw edge appliqued on to a simple wool cushion (made from an old blanket).
This one was a present for a very special friend.
But then I liked it so much and had plenty of scraps left over, so I had to make another!
I'm finding sunflower cushions much more successful than sunflower plants round here this year, we planted lots of seeds and, sadly, I don't think any of them have come up. We haven't completely given up hope yet though, so fingers crossed for the plant variety as well as the cushions.