Wednesday 15 January 2014

Picnic Quilt WIP

WIP number 3 for the week! This ones a nice, easy one too. And it's quite small and quite close to being finished, so all in all just the right kind of WIP!

It's another picnic quilt to go with a teddy bear's picnic hamper as a present for a little girl. one of my favourite little girl presents to make and give (done here and here before). Here it is so far:




I don't know why but I always feel that a picnic quilt ought to have a centre and then radiate out (both the other 2 have done this in other ways as well), so this design was perfect. It's sort of like one giant log cabin. I saw this idea done, with a very different end result, back here on Crafty Pod, and I've been wanting to try a version of it. I kind of wanted to do one where the colours chased each other round the quilt in some way, but then I also wanted to do one with a bit of rainbow effect. The rainbow effect won this time, but it's definitely something I'd like to try again and experiment a bit more with colour placement.


Had you noticed in the first photo that the colours are coming out in rainbow order? It's maybe more obvious in this photo. The binding is going to be the 'violet'.

I've made a start on the quilting, which really won't take long since it's not a big quilt (it's about 110cm square). The obvious way to go seemed to me to be a square(ish) spiral out, so I went obvious and I'm very happy with how it's going so far.



This might be the WIP that gets finished first, because there's so little left to do. But then again, I haven't got an immediate deadline for this one so that really shouldn't be an excuse, there's no avoiding it, I need to get back to Theo's insects! Maybe tomorrow...

Sally.

PS Almost forgot, I'm going to link up to Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday again, so go and have a look here if you'd like to see some more quilts in progress. I had a good browse last week and found quite a few lovely and interesting ones.

4 comments:

  1. What a darling picnic quilt and your quilting design choice is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm really pleased with how it's going. Just too many WIPs at the moment!

      Delete
  2. What pretty fabrics! I love the rainbow effect and the quilting suits the design. Well done!

    http://www.busyneedle.ch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bit of a weakness for a vintage sheet! Thanks for coming and having a look and taking the time to comment.

      Delete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!